What’s everyone up to this weekend? Tonight I’m heading to the Red Sox game with Tim and my parents, tomorrow I have the “Get to the Core” fundraiser at the Y from 1-3 (come! It’s going to be fun!), and on Sunday Tim and I have dinner plans with our friends Joe and Cate.
That means a free Saturday night and a free Sunday! Woo free time!
Did you guys catch my Go Bananas post the other night? If not, check it out! Has a ton of information about the health benefits of bananas. I know not all of you like bananas (ahem LIZ and BRIDGET), but for those of you who do — here’s a tasty banana recipe to make this weekend! I made these a couple of weeks ago, and everyone that tried them really enjoyed.
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Recipe inspired by Food.com, makes 24 muffins
- 3.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
- 2/3 cup olive oil (or do 1/3 cup oil + 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 cup honey or agave
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Beat oil and honey together; add eggs and beat well.
- Add bananas and beat to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with hot water; mix well after each addition.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes or until muffins are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack.
These are PERFECT to make when you have a couple of bananas that are too mushy/ripe to eat but you don’t want to waste them!
No need to throw away a perfectly good banana!
What are you guys doing this weekend? Do you find that you tend to waste bananas that go bad? Favorite muffin recipe? Tell me in the comments!