Hello, and welcome to Fitness & Feta!
My name is Athena, and I live in the Boston area with my fiance, Tim. I’ve always lived in this beautiful city with the exception of the four years I spent at Providence College (go Friars!).
While in college, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, so I declared myself an English major and assumed I’d figure it out. I spent a lot of time dancing as part of the PC Dance Company and making memories with the friends I still call my bests.
Halfway through college, I auditioned for an on campus job as a fitness instructor. I was chosen for the gig and became certified in group exercise through the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America. I had no idea back then that my little on campus job would eventually turn into something more. My first full time job right out of college had absolutely nothing to do with health or fitness, but as I began eating more nutritiously, taking different types of classes around the city, and discovering healthy living blogs, I knew that I just had to do more.
Today I still do the whole nine to five thing, but I’ve figured out how to incorporate my passion for health into my daily work. I am a corporate wellness coordinator, a position I created for myself a couple of years ago at the same company I’ve worked at for seven years. I realized I didn’t want to market medical software for a living, and I saw an opportunity to build a wellness program from the ground up. I took a leap of faith and went for it.
Outside of the corporate world, I wear a few different hats:
- I’m a daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece, and cousin in my big fat Greek family.
- I’m also a soon to be wife! Last summer, Tim proposed by a lighthouse in Gloucester, and we are getting married at a winery this fall.
- I’m still a group fitness instructor, and you can find me teaching total body conditioning classes twice a week at the Oak Square YMCA. There is honestly nothing more rewarding than helping people achieve their fitness goals. My workouts are fun, original, and creative, and many of my participants have formed lasting friendships through the community I create in my classes.
- I’m also a certified personal trainer. A few years ago, I decided to expand my fitness knowledge base and became certified through the American College of Sports Medicine.
- Finally, I’m the voice behind this blog. I started Fitness & Feta in 2011 as a way to put my English degree to good use and write more while building my name in the Boston fitness community. Over the years, F&F has become much more than just a hobby. It’s helped me make new friends, it’s allowed me to work with some amazing brands, and it’s inspired me to discover new things about myself along the way.
In recent years, I’ve uncovered an immense love for strength training, and I’ve learned that having a strong body allows me to have a strong mind. This is a message I want to spread to the world, so listen up:
Strength is contagious, and living a healthy life will let you become your happiest and best self, both in and out of the gym.
On this blog and on my social media channels, you can find me living my message every day. I post different ways to get your body moving, (mostly) nutritious recipes, and tips and tricks that have worked for me. I love to share pieces of my own journey and adventures in life, but you can also find me rooting for you along your journey as well. My goal is for F&F to inspire women to be confident, treat themselves with self compassion, and accept themselves where they are. At the end of the day, I want to show that living a healthy and fulfilled life does not have to be complicated or expensive. It’s about maintaining balance, keeping things real, and celebrating the successes along the way.
Thank you for stopping by! I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, comments, ideas, or just want to say hello. I can be reached via email at email@example.com.